Active Elements - Trace Elements

Remember in the last section when we added up the percentages of all the salts and minerals in seawater?  It came to 99.85%.  What about the other 0.15%?  For the most part, the composition of this tiny fraction of a percent includes what are known as trace elements.  Just about all the natural elements in the periodic table make up the trace elements, so to make this section readable, we’ll stick to ones we believe are most important to the healthy role they play in the functioning of our body.

For those of you that thrive on detail, the top 10 by concentration are Fluoride [F], Phosphorus [P], Iodine [I], Iron [Fe], Molybdenum [Mo, and also the most fun one to say], Zinc [Zn], Copper [Cu], Tin [Sn], Vanadium [V], and Manganese [Mn].

You won’t find these listed on the Ocean Rescue ingredient labels.  This is because they are really part of the seawater and seaweed extracts that are used in all the formulas. Remember, they are trace elements.  Tiny amounts, but our body depends on them for the synthesis of enzymes and hormones.  Once again, we turn to our colleague Dan to help explain the main elements found in the Ocean Rescue formulations.


When combined with polypeptides, copper plays an important role in skin rejuvenation. It promotes cellular regeneration vital to a youthful glowing skin. We can’t forget that copper is brain food as well keeping our minds alert and sharp. However, research shows that, taking copper supplements separately can lead to severe zinc shortages.  Seaweed provides your skin with a balance of both of these vital elements.


Important for skin firmness and elasticity, zinc is also an important element in hormone synthesis and prostate health. As with copper, taking pure zinc in excess can cause leaching copper from the body. Seaweed’s chelates (a biological process that plays in important role in photosynthesis) these elements in a way that is compatible with the body.


Perhaps the most important element found in marine algae, iodine is critical to health in so many ways. Organic iodine found in brown algae stimulates the thyroid.  For instance it promotes increased metabolism of fat and boosts the immune functions of the body.  What is not as well understood is the vital role iodine plays in women’s health by regulating and balancing estrogen levels.


This element is an important free radical scavenger. In the body, it helps to protect skin cells from the damaging affect of free radicals believed to be responsible for accelerating the aging process.


After calcium, it is the most abundant element in the synthesis of connective tissue. Silica strengthens skin, hair and nails.


One of the most important trace elements, chromium is vital in the management of glucose regulation.  When chelated to amino acids, its absorption is improved and excess levels of glucose in the bloodstream is diminished.  It is a co-factor in the synthesis of enzymes and essential fatty acids. As a result, it is widely used in weight loss programs in the form of chromium piccolinate. Algae sources of this vital trace element are all of the brown algae such as laminaria.